Developer Update - 16 March 2023

No plans to do so. We already limit maximum number of active audio sources in various ways due to both Unity limits and performance concerns-- opening this particular can of worms would make an already not-super-great problem significantly worse.

If you have a performance or experience that requires more than what an avatar can carry with it, I’d encourage you to put it into a world instead! If you’ve never done it before, that’s a great opportunity to learn.

We don’t make that assumption, which is why we’re making changes to our recommendation as previously noted, and are actively developing systems to help users with lower-bandwidth connections. :sweat_smile:

edit: as a sidenote, it’s usually better to account for median rather than mean when you’re talking about continuous, distributed values that have a tendency to have an overinfluential lot of upper and lower outliers like country-wide bandwidth. Per the linked site you provided, the US has an average of ~10-13 MBps, but the median is ~25mbit. You also have to take into account that our userbase (both current and potential) is a subset of this data.

Not that I’m saying broadband in the US is fun times. I’m personally stuck with Comcast no matter what :upside_down_face:

3 Likes