Can textures be applied to specific faces?

im creating a world and im not sure whether im doing this correctly or not. I have all the wall, floors set up (other than minor adjustments being made). It’s just the texturing thing im having problems with. Is there any way i can apply textures to a certain face of an object, rather than all faces?

With the texturing as well, how can i align these textures so they arent mis-aligned?

If need be, i am happy for someone to have a look at my world as I also have some more questions. Mainly about wall placements, which i can’t exactly explain too well.

As far as I am aware, you can’t change the uv map of 3d models within Unity. (Here’s a great article on UV Maps if you’re unaware to what those are! Understanding UV Mapping and Textures | Spiria )
You’ll need to use some other 3d modeling software, like Blender or Maya, to change the Uv Maps of the objects! (I’d recommend Blender personally as it’s free and larger swathes of the community uses it. Blender Guru also has many great tutorials on the ins and outs of Blender, including UV maps)
If you’re using a bunch of Unity primitives in your scene (like when one hits “create game object, 3d cube and etc), and you want to change the UVS on those, you’ll I believe have to get FBX exporter which is a Unity addon that allows you to export your scene as an FBX to be able to edit it in a 3d modeling program of your choice. (Documentation linked here! FBX Exporter | FBX Exporter | 2.0.3-preview.3 )
I hope this helps! Sorry there’s a lot!

Thats what i was expecting. Ive worked with Unity before but it has been with the 2017 version, so wasn’t all too sure whether it would be different.

In regards to the FBX exporter, it only says things about Autodesk. Though since Blender is another 3D modeling tool, im assuming it would be compatible with that as well

I did a bit more googling about and Probuilder (within the Unity Package Manager) can also edit UVs from within Unity! I can’t speak to the quality of Probuilder however as I haven’t used it, and only know of people moving away from it. But that could also be an option!

I think the Integration only works with Autodesk Maya. But the normal FBX exporter should be usable with any 3d program that can import an FBX!

Generally speaking, it is best practice to try to use software other than Unity to edit 3D assets. There’s some workarounds, but you’re basically trying to use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail!

I’d strongly suggest Blender for this. UV editing is fairly straightforward in Blender. You could also just make that set of faces a new material and apply a new texture to that material.

If you don’t know how to use Blender… now’s an excellent time to learn! :smiley:

1 Like

You able to elaborate more on the normal FBX exporter? I wasn’t able to find it in Unity, I was only able to find the integration

Ive always enjoyed using Autodesk. Havent fiddled with Blender too much but, it certainly would be a good tool to use rather than building my world directly through Unity. Though, just dont want to go through the hassle of building it from scratch again and then exporting it.

1 Like

Ye! I’ll just walk through all the steps I took in installing it and hopefully that helps or can be debugged from there!

Firstly, the project has to be made in 2018 or above!

In the Window tab at the top, within the dropdown is the Package Manager window image

For me, it took half a minute to load the whole list of packages within the package manager. Then you can search FBX within the search bar and find the FBX exporter. The install button is at the bottom of the window (shown here. It’s Up to Date for me since I installed it already!)

Once it’s all installed, if you open up the GameObject menu it should have two new options

Just select what you want to export in the hierarchy and hit Export to FBX and it should be all good to go!

I hope this helps!

ive tried that but Blender refuses to open up the FBX file with the error ASCII fbx files are not supported

Within the export settings, you can switch the format to Binary instead of ASCII and it then worked for me to import into Blender!

Awesome. Thankyou. Appreciate the help :smiley:

1 Like