Ambisonics and Binaural Audio Topic. [Demo world is live now!]

Hello,

If you have any questions or want to talk about Ambisonics and Binaural Auralization content for use in VRC feel free to post in here. I’m an acoustics engineer by day that enjoys playing with this stuff by night. I’m still learning as well as many others since the use of this content in VR is a new frontier so don’t be afraid to post and come along for the ride!

What are these things you speak of?!?!<

Binaural and binaural auralization is a method of recording or producing sound taking in account the physics behind how it diffracts, bends, and reflects around your head/body/ear. In non science speak its content that’s meant to be played back on headphones ONLY that sounds very realistic because its mimicking how you would hear something in a real space.

Ambisonics is the next dimension up from binaural. Binaural in itself is just a stereo 2 channel audio track so its considered as ‘static’ meaning if you turn your head in VR the audio will always be in the same place. Ambiosonics is the ‘360 camera’ version of that where it theoretically (ignoring technicality) a 360 degree sphere of audio content. This content then is rendered down into a binaural auralization depending on what direction your facing in VR. so when you move your head around where sound is coming from changes.

But why?!?!<

It allows for complex room reverb modeling to be baked into the track and be dynamic to your looking direction. This makes it very useful for some applications as it can be more immersive compared to traditional methods. Demo world below.

<>
Thinking about releasing a pack of universal environment background sfx for people to use in their worlds. Hit me up if your interested. Also let me know if there’s a better forum to post this in lol. Discord:Elevative#9796

2 Likes

This is what I got so far for the immersive world, 120 frames too with other people in it. 3 weeks ago I didn’t know what unity was so hopefully its not to bad xD, now just to figure out how to udon lol.

1 Like

Heyo,

Friday 4/30/21 I’m going to release an audio world to community labs. Its nothing toooo fancy but its intended to be a simple intro that explains ambisonic stuff with some random cool examples.

I made an auditorium and remixed/mastered some symphony dry tracks in a digitally made acoustic space where the reverb and early energy is accurately modeled like it would if it where a real space. so when you listen to a track and turn your head the imaging is acoustically accurate and you can hear the reverb flow through the room. There’s an outdoor part with nature sounds and some other stuff as well.

Was planning on doing this last week but I got my second covid shot and was sic :c
also been playing with mastering for Index headphones but idk if that will happen or not cuz time.

Ambisonic / Binural demo world Is now live! Its linked in the top post.

I’ve moved all discution of ambisonic audio stuff to the VRC Audio Discord in the Spatial-audio development tab. Drop in here to continue in the discussion https://discord.gg/W3KeWzGQPH